Monday, December 25, 2006

Feliz Navidad

So I am back this quite Christmas morning in the City, looking quite different with no market stalls, cars in the street or people walking around. I spent a great couple of days in the towns of Tepotzlan and Taxco and stopped in Cuernavaca just for the day. Tepotzlan was this amazing mountain town surrounded by hill resembling great ruins. I met this new age hippie Harris there that told me all about the gods and Qetzacotl and to be careful not to let them take all your energy when you visit the ruins. In light of my new knowlege I would like to make sure eveyone lives the next 4 years of their lives simply gloriously, because according to Harris the world is comeing to an end october 23, 2011! Consider yourselves warned. But seriously Tepotzlan was probably my favortie place so far not only because of the amazing location, but because I stayed with this incredibley generous family, of which the grandma is my favorite person in all of mexico. With her blue eyes she reminded me so much of my grandma, she was always trying to feed me and sneak me treats and I would bring her sweet rolls for the market and she would give me kisses...Ah Senorina Josephina, definetely my favorite. Also I got invited to their nephews Wedding, which came as a total suprise but was so fun to watch the mexican traditions such as dancing in circles, pushing people holding up the bride and the groom, trying to break the tie that there holding on to eachother with. Anyways there I was drunk on margaritas and kissing some random bride and groom thinking this is all very funny, but feeling pretty lucky. Cuernavaca is known as the city of eternal spring and the getaway to mostly rich mexicans, So i only stopped to have lunch but had an interesting chat with Dr Francisco about life in mexico and religion. Taxco is the center of silver in Meixco and like a Tuscan village with lots of winding cobblestone streets winding around whitewashed houses with red tiled roofs. The only thing is the little VW bugs that at first seem really cute are forever clogging up the streets making you want to walk far up into the hills. So thats what I did -For christmas eve I visited the Big Jesus up on the top of the mountain to wish him happy birthday and touch his toe for goodluck. Otherwise Christmas has just been another day and I miss everyone so much
Hope you are having a wonderful holiday.
Muchissimo Amor como siempre

3 Comments:

Blogger stillborn said...

feliz navidad mi amiga. te deseo amor y felicidad hoy y siempre

11:40 PM  
Blogger Sir Richie Lipset said...

Hey dork,

You picked a great spot in Tepoztlan. I spent several days there with my girlfriend and we also went into the mountains of Amatlan. We went on a walk with an abuelito who showed us all of the sacred spots that Huitzilopochtli haunts. I swam in his mother´s sacred spring and played cards with good ol´ Huitz on the mountain top. Rather than actually stealing my energy, I felt extremely energized and had to climb several trees and dig several trenches to work off my potency. It was like being struck by a lightening, except without all of the burning flesh and internal injuries. After the walk I had to cut out the heart of the abuelo and feed it to Huitz as a kind of honoring. It wasn´t until after that my girlfriend cut out my own heart, but that is a whole other story. You never know who you are going to meet on the road, and you never know when you will meet them again. Keep your eyes and your heart wide open sexy beast! Ricardo

9:29 AM  
Blogger Lisa J said...

Dearest Ma-Tay-Tay,

I have been thinking about you alot lately. It's funny you went to Tepotzlan right away because i did a project/debate on that place and it's people last term. I feel you should know about it:

The Anthropological "Lewis/Redfield Tepotzlan debate" is one of the most famous debates in all of Anthro. And you have now been there. I'm glad you found that the people were nice,because that's the side of the debate i took.

The debate stems from two different early 20th Century Anthropologist (First Redfield, then Lewis 17 years later) who each did a separate study on the local Tepotz people. Redfield found the people to be happy, warm, open, generous. Lewis found that they were coniving, mean-spirited, unhappy and depressed. The debate has to do with how anthropologist's research a particular topic (like the Tepotz people) and how two opposite views can occur on the exact same subject.

Now that you have been edumacated, i feel you can continue your journey with a greater sense of confidence. I hope you got to see the pyramids while you stayed in Mexico city.

Now that you are in Cuba, please have a bottle of cuban rum for me, since i still cannot smell the stuff without feeling like throwing up.

Love you tons Tay-Tay, keep updating your blog. I have been reading it but just figured out how to write comments now! (I edumacated myself!)

Lisa J.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home