Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A month to catch up on....



Well, I must admit I am a terrible blogger..too many things happen and then I get behind, but okay a quick catch up. So I have been at school for the past month, and have finally settled into a really nice place on the top of hill, with great views from the terrace as you can see here. It was a bit of a transition going from the travelling life to being back at school, and probably more than anything having all the conversations from Cuba come down on me, when it was all over. I guess just the change in dynamic from being in a place where possibilities and opportunities are so few, to arriving in this picturesque place with twenty eight Canadians, all buying apartments, cell phones and figuring out where to connect to wireless internet gave my head a bit of a spin. But instead of feeling guilty about it I have been trying to find a way to put my privelege to use. The first three weeks, during the poli sci class, we all got to choose a topic of interest, and I got so inspired by the latest social movement here in Mexico called the Otra Compaña...I got to visit a Zapatista community and was given a great amount of inspiration through chats with various organization leaders. I think the whole way our classes our structured as well has given me a whole new outlook on learning. My poli Sci teacher Max, a big fan of Paulo Frieres dialectual teaching method was all about us going out into the world and seeing what we could come up with instead of burying our heads in books...Heres a shot of the man himself, (sipping) back a tequila shot :)


All in all it was an eye opening experience that really got me excited about uni in a way that I havent been for a long time. I think he is going to post all of the students finding on their particular topics so I can put that up on here too. After all the research and discussion I really wanted to get involved with something, so I spoke to some Otra Compaña activists and will be helping them organize publicity for a women´s march next week..It was also kinda funny cuz one of the guys was like..well we also have some farm work to do and re-forestation, but you probably wouldnt be interested in that..BAH, I says... man Im a treeplanter, give me the hard stuff..so I may have gotten myself into some physical labor for this weekend with my big ol mouth but thats okay too. What else to report..ah yes..we also get to go on plenty of excursions with the group...some highlights have been waterfalls at the biggest canyon in Chiapas, El Subidero, and an incredible religious carnaval at a small mountain town call San Juan Chamula...It was a big mix of a bunch of traditions including bull running, fire walking, offerings of eggs and coca cola to the dead, monkey masked races..it was one of those days that you wonder if someone slipped some magical sugar in your coffee..I think even our proffs studying Latin American culture were a bit overwhelmed so that was kinda funny to see...Oh except Max he wanted to go run with the bulls!! But unfortunately no picture taking allowed...
Ah yes and the latest, my lovely b-day vacation to the beach of Mazunte...Nutella crepe breakfast and delicious fish dinner..spoiled rotten I say! And after a sunset and and sunrise on my 23rd year on this crazy planet i felt a small wrinkle appear on my forehead, but felt a small bit wiser....














but not so wise as to not play in the waves with sting rays and jelly fish..teehee they didnt catch me.....oh above is my roomate Paulina who has become a great friend..we have lots of laughs especially when I try to tell jokes in Spanish...
ok thats all she wrote, Love and more love....the next one will most likely be about our field trip to the Yucatan to see all the Mayan treasures....until then take care
missing you

1 Comments:

Blogger Amber - on a human journey said...

Hey Matea,

Your blog is great! Sounds like you are having a great time. Post some more pictures and stories when you can. Always great to hear about your adventures.

Much love!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home